Tuesday 12 April 2016

Thriller in Manila

The Philippines, a new country for me
Having arrived into the Philippines on a ridiculously timed flight at 04:55 for the 3 hour flight. I was greeted with a warm welcome from my Korean host. Been allowed into my room at 7am was a massive bonus, after much needed shower, fruit for breakfast, handing a huge pile of laundry to the delightfully polite and very pleasant house maid, I caught up on some much needed sleep.

Fully refreshed I went on a little walk around. First thing that hit me was it was extremely hot, humid too. It wasn't too long into my walk my shirt was soaked through.

I stumbled on Rizal Park, a few statues, fountains, monuments, gardens made for a nice stroll, trying to gain shade of the trees from the blistering heat even though it was fairly cloudy.
Rizal Park, Manila
I paid around 30p to see the site of Rizal's execution (National hero, whom the park is named after) recreated with bronze statues.
Bronze statue reconstruction of Rizal's (National Hero) execution
In the firing line
The Korean Lady at my AirBnB accommodation offered me to stay for dinner to sample a Korean feast. The food was excellent, a very nice touch from the host. Not sure whose dinner I ate but it was nice.
Now that is a proper Korean spread for dinner
Next job was to find a safe (non seedy) bar for beers in downtown Metro Manila. First bar I came across was my favorite place in Manila. It was an open sided bar with a band playing on the large stage at the front. It was just a 'normal' bar frequented by students and tourists alike.
San Mig Light, the first of many
Next up I found a bar that would be showing the cricket world cup final in 2 days time. Beers were more expensive in there but it would definitely do a job for the game.

All the recent overnight travelling final took its toll and the next day was sleep, sleep and more sleep. Finally I got myself moving went to the shopping mall where I bumped into the security guard from my apartment complex. I was telling him about my night out the previous evening, and he said he would show me around the 'best' bars in Metro Manila. What followed was a 'girlie' bar walking tour, mid afternoon.

I'd researched a local eating institution for evening meal at a place called Aristocrat. It was indeed popular with the locals. The massive place was packed early on a Saturday night, it wasn't cheap either. I had a local dish which was basically belly pork and crackling. Not the healthiest of meals but very tasty.
Pork and crackling for supper
I'd been tipped off about a bar selling ultra cheap beers sitting on plastic chairs on the street. I liked it in there. Plenty of strange characters inside and even stranger sights walking by, including some obvious ladyboys in full 'costume'.

I headed back to the bar close by my apartment the one I liked from the previous evening with live bands playing tunes. Strangely having been packed on Friday night, it was fairly dead on the Saturday. This however gave the waitress plenty of time to chat to me. She was very nice and I lost count how many times I said, OK one more beer then I'm going.
Second night in Super 8
Those additional 'one more' beers took their toll on me the next day and I was a little hung over. Following a 'refreshing' (cold) swim I hit the tourist beat again. 
Pool at the apartment
I visited the Intramuros district. It was nice, away from all the hustle and bustle of down town Manila and started with a hearty lunch.
Lunch in Intramuros, tasty it was too
I visited the Fort (Fort Santiago) which had an informative museum, nice gardens and was good to stroll around, nothing to strenuous. Outside the fort it was quite 'old worldy' it was nice to walk the streets ducking into churches and cathedrals. I managed to gate crash two weddings that day.
Fort Santiago
Church in Intramuros
Manila Cathedral
I went for a walk to harbour to see the sunset over the bay, grabbed a few cheap beers at the pavement bar, and went to watch England play in the Cricket T20 World Cup Final.
Sunset over Manila harbour

The bar I watched the game in was run by an Aussie, surprisingly him and his mate were cheering England on. With England in an almost unbeatable position with an over to go they left the bar saying it's all over. 4 balls later the game turned and England lost. I'd have loved to have seen their faces when they picked up the morning paper the next day. I was disappointed, but pleased to have seen some great cricket live in India and got to watch the semi-final in Malaysia and the final in Philippines on TV.

The next day I took a flight to Kalibo where I found budget accommodation at under £5 for a single room. I had a quiet night, just a late night beer whilst chatting with the lady from reception. 

The next day I was going to catch a ferry to the beautiful and party island of Boracay.

No comments:

Post a Comment