Sunday 22 November 2015

Cambodia - Phnom Penh and Battanbang

It had been about 5 weeks since I entered Indonesia and got to add my last new country on my travel CV so I gratefully received a full page visa in my passport even if the tour guide on the boat did siphon off an additional $5US from each passenger to line his pocket.  Having a quick recount on one of those Facebook apps Cambodia is my 63rd country (airport layovers don't count in my opinion).
 
I do argue with myself that I'm only on 61 as whilst travelling in Sweden years back a wise old traveller once said to me, you can only say you have been somewhere if you've had a meal, a sleep and a number 2 toilet stop.  This criteria would rule out Brazil and Uruguay as both of these I have done on day trips, but a counter argument is I have the entry and exit passport stamps in both of these.
Cambodia
At the border I changed my remaining Vietnamese Dong into Cambodian Riel at a total cost of just 37p against the market rate. Then it was the slow (and long) boat into Phnom Penh.
 
My small tour had merged with at least another and now there were about 20 of us.  Everyone rushed onto the top deck, I choose to sit under cover and watch the world go by and have a good think of what I was going to do with in the medium term (next year) and beyond.
 
Travel is definitely an option for (at least) the first half of next year, but I can't travel forever and I'm conscious that the IT world moves on quickly and I don't want to get too far behind. My thoughts were interrupted several times by 2 guys from Holland and a girl from Germany who came to either keep me company or shelter from the sun, I'll let you make your own minds up!
 
We had a beer or two together to speed the journey along.  Not having a grasp of the local money I pushed aside the persuasive tuk-tuk drivers and find my own hotel.  That was a bit of a mistake as it was around 3km in blistering heat.
 
The hotel was a cracker 4* hotel on the top floor of an office block. My budget didn't stretch to the luxury rooms so I had what was described as a compact room.  It was about the size of a small shed, Japanese style.  It had a sofa with bed above it, a ladder up to the top and almost enough room to squeeze between the ladder and the flat screen TV.  Getting in and out and especially up and down from the bed was an art, an art that I hadn't mastered at first. With each movement I banged head, elbow and toes almost simultaneous. Once I mastered it, it was very comfortable and was luxurious for a cheap price.  The shared bathroom was very clean and showers always available. The view from the roof top bar was fantastic.

Hotel with a view
Cambodia is duel currency country with the US dollar and it is not unusual to pay in dollars and get change in a mix of USD and Riel. At first I hadn't got my head around it and it left me feeling I was getting ripped off with every transaction.  With that and the various banging of heads I decided I didn't like Cambodia and had an early night.
 
My feelings changed when I went to the Royal Palace the next day, a plethora of golden temples and stupas reminded me of Myanmar.  Phnom Penh is a small capital city and easy enough to do by foot.
Royal Palace Selfie
Royal Palace Silver Stupa
Cambodian food was very tasty local dishes such as Loc Lac (beef stew with rice, chili and onions topped off with a fried egg) and Amok (steamed fish or chicken with lots of flavours including Lemongrass, garlic, basil and turmeric served with rice) were my favourites and became my food of choice most nights.  I avoided the restaurant famous for its fried tarantula.
Beef Loc Lak washed down with Angkor Beer
One night i had a few drinks at the hotel and the barman was learning English and spoke with me most of the evening. A very pleasant and knowledgeable chap.

Masterchef
 
The next day I did a cooking class which was a good laugh, although I feel the chef and the other two students (a couple from Holland) took it more serious than I did. 
 
I made a three course meal and then ate it.  The starter and main course were some of the nicest dishes I'd eaten, complements to the chef.  Picture of pudding not supplied as it was neither the best taste or looked that good!






Green Mango Salad

Star Dish - Chicken Amok


The afternoon was a sombre affair, my new mate (the barman) took me out on his motorbike to the killing fields where under the Khmer Rouge regime many people were murdered.  A monument with many skulls and bones inside really brought it home.  You got an excellent audio guide and although not a pleasant experience I would recommend others to do.
 
If I hadn't had enough of my dark tourism I then went to the genocide museum a school converted to a prison where prisoners were tortured, abused and some killed.  Stories from survivors made for horrific reading.  It is hard to imagine that this was in my lifetime.
Genocide Museum
A combination of not knowing where my next stop was going to be, I had a couple of things left to see in the city and I fancied a few beers made my decision easy to stay in the city one more day.
 
I choose Battanbang as my next destination, ticked of the last of the temples had a few early beers and decided to have an early night in readiness for the early bus ride.
 
Getting back to the hotel there was a frenzy of activity in the bar. I was stopped from entering as it was a private party for Japanese football fans who were playing a world cup qualifier against Cambodia in Phnom Penh the next night. Apparently some of the Japan players were there.
 
As I was a resident I ignored the restriction took a shower and joined in. It was a cracking night and the bar was packed.  Needless to say my quiet night never happened, quite the opposite especially when I got boozing with a lad from Belfast who had just flown in.
 
Having hotel and bus booked for Battanbang it was too late to change travel plans and stay an extra night to get the game in. Tickets were about £2, but I'm sure had I pushed some of these wealthy Japanese would have found a hospitality ticket for me. 
 
Feeling a little jaded the next morning I caught the bus to Battanbang think it was about 6 hours for £4. I got chatting to a girl who had also quit her job in Hong Kong to travel. Interesting chat and we went out for dinner that night and shared a tuk-tuk tour the next day.  The food stop half way was a load of stalls selling what I nicknamed fingers and eyeballs or another stall selling deep fried locusts and grasshoppers.
 
'Fingers' and 'eyeballs' stall
Anyone for fried locust and grasshopper?
The tour was good, first up was a bamboo train that rattled along through the countryside stopping only to lift the bamboo raft, engine and wheels to let oncoming traffic through (many times). With your backside so close to the ground it felt quite quick but really it was steady pace but fun.  Every 5 or 10 meters you hit a connection in the track none of which matched to well and caused a bumpy ride.  We were joined on the train ride by a Polish girl who had also quit her accountancy job to travel. After an informative tour of an ancient house we broke for lunch.
All aboard the bamboo train
Driver not happy as we meet yet another on-coming train
The afternoon we went up a hill which was tough in the heat. A few temples and a killing cave with more skulls and bones of those who fell during the Khmer Rouge.  After seeing sunset on the hill we went down to the entrance of another cave housing 10 million bats who in orderly fashion left the cave at dusk, quite spectacular.
Temples at the top of the hill
 
Decent View
Sunset over Battanbang
Bat exodus
The evening I decided to check out a street in town called pub street.  It was lacking in pubs but did have a few restaurants where I could get a beer or two.  Unfortunately due to a breakdown in communication one place I asked for a beer and got a 2 litre jug not too much of problem for £1.65.
I only wanted a pint
I felt a little jaded at breakfast which I wished I'd never had. Afterwards I had travellers tummy.  Several trips to the toilet I was all set to cry off from the 2pm bus to Siem Reap.  I took some imodium which did a job but by the time i was checking in to my next hotel it was time to go again.  At reception they were offering me welcome drinks, cooling towels, maps and trying to sell me tours. I had to be rude and see "look mate I'm not well can we do this in the morning, i need a lie down" aka a #2 stop.
 
So that was it for my first 6 days in Cambodia, I entered fighting fit and after less than a week was tired, jaded and sick.  Still I had some great times in both spots. I was definitely looking forward to the Temples of Angker.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting and spice travel. Keep walking my friend. And writting. You have talent. Paul - your romanian friend

    ReplyDelete